Skip to main content

Risks? What Risks?

Kids are wired all wrong.

Even compensating for and taking into consideration the fact that four-year-old children need a strong self preservation mechanism or their little bodies would never make it to adulthood they seem to be wired all wrong.

At least mine.

Exhibit A. By son, now rapidly approaching five years old, will still sometimes refuse to go down slides. Not the shiny metal, super heated, thigh burning variety, or even some super-deluxe, twisty turny, five-story high monstrosity; just a simple, single turn, plastic one at the local Burger King. Ok, you say, maybe he is afraid of heights or the fall. Which I'd totally buy as an explanation, except he has no problem standing on his dinner chair, then happily jumping onto his sister's chair.

Exhibit B. My other son nearly melted down during a recent climb up a playground at the Crayola Experience. He climbed his way up one of those climbing towers every playground seems to have. About three quarters of the way up toward the net walkway some other kids jostled him. For those of you unfamiliar with these structures - you'd have a hard time falling down a single level, let alone managing any type real fall. Every 3 feet or so there is another "level" opposite the one you are standing on. So at most you could fall about 2 feet.

Which could well be terrifying for a four-year-old child. Again, I'd totally buy this explanation, except that this son falls off his kitchen chair probably every other meal. "Ah ha," you say, "see, he already has experience falling, and no one like that." Well yes, except one would expect him to have learned something; to have some takeaway from all this falling. But it certainly hasn't stilled him at meals, the fidgeting at which is the result of all those mealtime falls. Meanwhile, the completely safe climb at the Crayola Factory; that freaked him out.

And yet, my son has somehow mastered the Kindle Fire he plays with inside out. I mean, he can order games, find how what parts of games are locked, explains to me what unlocking certain aspects will gain him, finds things on YouTube. You name it. Rand gave my wife explicit instructions the other day about how to find what he was looking for.

"Mom, you hit the block, then the green thing, then the orange thing."

It didn't make much sense at the time. But damned if that wasn't the exact way to go about doing what he wanted. Liam told he knew how to download apps deleted off of a Kindle Fire the other day. And guess what, he did. Rand taught him, apparently.

So how come he can figure that out, and convey it, but I can't get them to say "please" and "thank you."?

And before you head to the comments to post about how bad a parenting job I'm doing and how my "Super Cool Blue" parenting model is failing to instill proper values, you should know that its not for lack of trying. We emphasis the need for these words pretty much every time they miss them.

But still, the request for milk comes out as "milk," or even "milk, please," but lacks the form of a question.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Mocking Redheads Bullying? If Not, What Is?

Its Super Bowl time, and since my team didn't make it, I haven't been paying very close attention.  But I got to talking with Aaron Gouveia on Twitter after I noticed one of his tweets about how a redhead would never QB a team to said Super Bowl.  Essentially, Aaron was mocking redheads.  My team doesn't have a redheaded QB, so we are safe (for now!), but I mentioned to him that this might fall under the term of bullying.  Aaron, in case you don't know, is rightfully well known in the Daddy-bloggersphere for his excellent  Daddy Files blog.  Seriously, go read it now,  and follow @DaddyFiles on Twitter.  And before I really get going on this rant, let me say: I get it.  Even as great as Gouveia is, he probably can't hold candle to the prestige, money and social status of a Pro-Bowl NFL player like Andy Dalton.  Andy Dalton could never do another thing in the NFL and probably still have more name recognition, money and power than Gouveia ever will.  This isn't e

NIGHTMARE: Three Kids; One Invite

Its a triplet parents worst nightmare, really. I only have triplets, so most of what I;m about to say about singletons is conjecture and assumption, but here goes: I imagine that when you have three kids of different ages its easy when only one of them is invited to a birthday party. Any younger child is probably interested in where an older sibling is going, but is easily refocused. Older children probably just don't care what a younger child is doing, but to the extent they are invested, I'd think its easy to explain to them. After all, they are probably in different schools, or at least different grades. They have different teachers, different classmates, and while they may share some friends, those are largely different as well. Not so with triplets When you have three kids all the same age they attend the same  school; often in the same class (as ours do). So when only one of them receives an invite, as our daughter did, its hard not  to feel slighted. After all, t

My Kids Believe Some Wild Things

First off, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. It is the holiday season, so this is going to be a quick and fun post. If you want something more serious, you can look my struggles with my daughter's self esteem  here , my blah attitude about the death of cursive here , and why I'm a very bad person here . All kids believe in some clearly wild ideas. Santa. The tooth fairy. Heck, some parents believe vaccines cause disease, so its hard to blame the kids. But mine might be taking it to new levels. For instance, my one son will repeatedly tell me how I'm the best Dad he knows. Its sweet. And gosh, its hard to deny. But I'm also pretty much the only Dad he knows. I guess his other point of reference is the Dad from Peppa Pig. Have you seen that guy? He's a half shaven, rotound pig with the manners you might expect of such a guy. Its a bit surprising he isn't usually adorned with a can of beer in his hand and food stains on his clothing. This suddenly sounds li