Skip to main content

Super Cool Blue Parents

Last week I talked about how incredibly easy it is to be a good parent.

It really takes almost no work.  As an expert quoted in this WebMD article notes, “what mattered to babies a thousand years ago is still what matters today:  You, the parent, are your baby’s best learning tool.” 

Uhu and Uh, Green Parents
Minus smoke-induced deaths, Uhu was a great Mom.
Parenting: The Ug-Uhu-Acho Story
For literally hundreds of years parents had no real guidance on developmental markers and strategies. Sure, they received plenty of input from in-laws; you have in-laws, right?

And yet children kept getting smarter and making scientific discoveries.  It isn’t like the Uhu, the Mom whose kid discovered fire, checked with some stone-based Dr. Sears predecessor.  I suppose if she had she would have immediately look over at her heavily bearded husband Ug, who was undoubtedly playing with his Apple iCore and ignoring the kids, and say, “Ug!  Acho should play Fire now.  Go get Acho fire for play.”

[Note: Depending on the age of Acho in this story, Ahu probably just doomed him to smoke-inhalation death.  Keep that in mind.]

So that is the bar - if you mimic or exceed the parenting of someone constantly on starvation’s doorstep and in fear of being eaten by a bear, you probably exceed it.  

5 Things
How low is the bar?  Perhaps the most five most important things to your baby’s future are things that take almost no work: 1) talk to your baby; 2) play with your baby; 3) pay attention to its interests; 4) use those interests to foster curiosity; 5) simply love and nurture your baby.

This last is, I think, especially important.  Creating a loving and safe environment allows your child to be curious and explore without fearing the loss of love or environment.

So, its easy to get into that green area in the chart, but you don’t want just an average child.  And anyhow, you want to be the kind of overachieving Super Mom you know you can be.  So how do you get to be “Super Cool Blue” parent? 

Super Cool Blue
Truth is, I just don’t know.  I’m certainly not one of them.  But I know that it is exceedingly hard and likely not worth effort for the small return.  Sure, being a “Super Cool Blue” parent might add some small percentage of advantage to your child.  But in a world where W work produces a perfectly good child (C), why would you want to do 100W in order to produce a child who was 1.03C?

I suppose stay-at-home parents probably have some small step in that direction.  Money probably helps, mostly because it alleviates worries and tends to lead to more secure situations.  But that cuts both ways, because money can ruin a kid as well.  Family certainly helps, except where it doesn't.  I’m a huge supporter of the ways technology makes our lives better, but I’m not convinced one single technology-based toy helps a lick.

In short, you could make your kids 3% better by hitting 100 of 100 constantly moving targets, but why would you when you can do just fine hitting 50 of the targets?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Mocking Redheads Bullying? If Not, What Is?

Its Super Bowl time, and since my team didn't make it, I haven't been paying very close attention.  But I got to talking with Aaron Gouveia on Twitter after I noticed one of his tweets about how a redhead would never QB a team to said Super Bowl.  Essentially, Aaron was mocking redheads.  My team doesn't have a redheaded QB, so we are safe (for now!), but I mentioned to him that this might fall under the term of bullying.  Aaron, in case you don't know, is rightfully well known in the Daddy-bloggersphere for his excellent  Daddy Files blog.  Seriously, go read it now,  and follow @DaddyFiles on Twitter.  And before I really get going on this rant, let me say: I get it.  Even as great as Gouveia is, he probably can't hold candle to the prestige, money and social status of a Pro-Bowl NFL player like Andy Dalton.  Andy Dalton could never do another thing in the NFL and probably still have more name recognition, money and power than Gouveia ever will.  This isn't e

NIGHTMARE: Three Kids; One Invite

Its a triplet parents worst nightmare, really. I only have triplets, so most of what I;m about to say about singletons is conjecture and assumption, but here goes: I imagine that when you have three kids of different ages its easy when only one of them is invited to a birthday party. Any younger child is probably interested in where an older sibling is going, but is easily refocused. Older children probably just don't care what a younger child is doing, but to the extent they are invested, I'd think its easy to explain to them. After all, they are probably in different schools, or at least different grades. They have different teachers, different classmates, and while they may share some friends, those are largely different as well. Not so with triplets When you have three kids all the same age they attend the same  school; often in the same class (as ours do). So when only one of them receives an invite, as our daughter did, its hard not  to feel slighted. After all, t

My Kids Believe Some Wild Things

First off, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. It is the holiday season, so this is going to be a quick and fun post. If you want something more serious, you can look my struggles with my daughter's self esteem  here , my blah attitude about the death of cursive here , and why I'm a very bad person here . All kids believe in some clearly wild ideas. Santa. The tooth fairy. Heck, some parents believe vaccines cause disease, so its hard to blame the kids. But mine might be taking it to new levels. For instance, my one son will repeatedly tell me how I'm the best Dad he knows. Its sweet. And gosh, its hard to deny. But I'm also pretty much the only Dad he knows. I guess his other point of reference is the Dad from Peppa Pig. Have you seen that guy? He's a half shaven, rotound pig with the manners you might expect of such a guy. Its a bit surprising he isn't usually adorned with a can of beer in his hand and food stains on his clothing. This suddenly sounds li