Skip to main content

Going Back To An Office

Ignore all the toys. Boy are there a lot of toys.
This is where I work.
For more than four years I've had it pretty good; great even.  It was almost five years ago when my company decided we should all be home based employees.

We already worked from home two days a week, so it wasn't a titanic-hitting-an-iceberg change.  Still, I was anxious about the change.  Would I become a hermit?  How would I handle working at home everyday?  Would I miss the social interaction.  Would I miss a 5 mile commute that at times took 45 minutes.  Okay, so I could safely say I wouldn't miss that last part.

Still, it was a big change.

Little did I know, bigger changes were on the horizon.  Just a few months later I would change in my soon-to-be impossibly small car for an pickup truck. Despite wanting a pickup truck, the one I settled on seemed at the time impracticably oversized. We were firmly entrenched in fertility issues. There was a growing chance we weren't having kids at all.  And even when - if? - we finally had a child, why would I need an entire second row of seats?

Just months after that purchase, in bam-bam style, we learned about our pregnancy and impending task of raising triplets.  And suddenly, the dimensions of seats relative to three car seats became of paramount importance.

Being home helped when my wife went on bed rest for 3 weeks and it certainly played a role in me visiting her every day of the 9 weeks she spent on bed rest in the hospital. And so, a year after becoming a home-based employee and nine weeks of hospital bed rest I became the father to the most awesome triplets you could possibly imagine.

 I've been working from home for the entirety of my kids' lives. The arrangement made life so much easier.  No need to worry about whether the nanny has a vehicle, or leaving a stranger at home with the kids, or having to worry about deadlines to pick the kids up and drop them off. It was absolutely awesome working at home for the first four years of their lives.

I'm not one of those people who will tell you things happen for a reason. But if I was ever to believe in something like that, this would be the case. So many of life's rapid-filled creeks converged into one smooth river. Looking back, it almost seems as if the universe spent four years setting us up in a perfect situation for triplets. Things dovetailed very nicely. It was almost kizmet. It was certainly a great run.

Next Thursday that run ends. I'll give my kids a kiss goodbye and head out the door, for the first time ever.

Because a couple months ago, we were informed of another huge life change: we were going back to a part-time office setting starting next week.

Now, hopefully everything will fall into place once again. I've lived a pretty blessed life, and I can't help wonder sometimes if I've reached Peak Karma and things are about to just fall apart. But then my mind takes over - most of the time - and I realize that a lot of the reason things have worked out isn't out of some universal kindness, but because we have made it work.

Having triplets could have made us miserable.  Rarely leaving the house could have made me miserable. Any number of things could make us miserable. But we choose not to let it.

Sometimes you just have to let the happy out, roll with the punches and make the best of a situation.

BONUS: I'd be remiss if I didn't direct you to Gretchen Rubin's site. She has a LOT to say about the science of happiness and how to achieve it.  I've been a longtime follower of her blog about happiness and am in the middle of reading her book The Happiness Project. She also wrote the most apropos quote I've ever read about parenting: "The days are long and the years are short."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Mocking Redheads Bullying? If Not, What Is?

Its Super Bowl time, and since my team didn't make it, I haven't been paying very close attention.  But I got to talking with Aaron Gouveia on Twitter after I noticed one of his tweets about how a redhead would never QB a team to said Super Bowl.  Essentially, Aaron was mocking redheads.  My team doesn't have a redheaded QB, so we are safe (for now!), but I mentioned to him that this might fall under the term of bullying.  Aaron, in case you don't know, is rightfully well known in the Daddy-bloggersphere for his excellent  Daddy Files blog.  Seriously, go read it now,  and follow @DaddyFiles on Twitter.  And before I really get going on this rant, let me say: I get it.  Even as great as Gouveia is, he probably can't hold candle to the prestige, money and social status of a Pro-Bowl NFL player like Andy Dalton.  Andy Dalton could never do another thing in the NFL and probably still have more name recognition, money and power than Gouveia ever will.  This isn't e

NIGHTMARE: Three Kids; One Invite

Its a triplet parents worst nightmare, really. I only have triplets, so most of what I;m about to say about singletons is conjecture and assumption, but here goes: I imagine that when you have three kids of different ages its easy when only one of them is invited to a birthday party. Any younger child is probably interested in where an older sibling is going, but is easily refocused. Older children probably just don't care what a younger child is doing, but to the extent they are invested, I'd think its easy to explain to them. After all, they are probably in different schools, or at least different grades. They have different teachers, different classmates, and while they may share some friends, those are largely different as well. Not so with triplets When you have three kids all the same age they attend the same  school; often in the same class (as ours do). So when only one of them receives an invite, as our daughter did, its hard not  to feel slighted. After all, t

My Kids Believe Some Wild Things

First off, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. It is the holiday season, so this is going to be a quick and fun post. If you want something more serious, you can look my struggles with my daughter's self esteem  here , my blah attitude about the death of cursive here , and why I'm a very bad person here . All kids believe in some clearly wild ideas. Santa. The tooth fairy. Heck, some parents believe vaccines cause disease, so its hard to blame the kids. But mine might be taking it to new levels. For instance, my one son will repeatedly tell me how I'm the best Dad he knows. Its sweet. And gosh, its hard to deny. But I'm also pretty much the only Dad he knows. I guess his other point of reference is the Dad from Peppa Pig. Have you seen that guy? He's a half shaven, rotound pig with the manners you might expect of such a guy. Its a bit surprising he isn't usually adorned with a can of beer in his hand and food stains on his clothing. This suddenly sounds li