Skip to main content

The Days That Make It All Worth It

You have days like this one, and it seems like, really seems like, you aren't going to do anything correct. You just aren't.

And then you have a day where they play a game like the one shown in the picture. Some kind of amalgam between the game of checkers I had just shown them how to play and the game of chess they know I love.

And to be honest, four has been pretty awesome.

I was thinking about just how awesome as I scrolled through Facebook posts from other triplet Dads who have young ones and were, simply put, overwhelmed.

For a sex that prides itself on motion and doing and energy and work, there were a lot of Dads who simply seemed at their breaking point in February. And that isn't to judge; handling triplets is hard. Damn hard.

And yes, I once said about how three was the perfect age. I also once wrote "Preschool Not For Me School."  What do I know? I hadn't had four year olds yet. Kids are like what I imagine it was like when the first humans figured out dynamite. Fun! Great to play with! Poweful! Very useful in the right circumstances! But boy, do you want to be in the right circumstances. Otherwise you risk blowing your arm off. But you know what, four has been a pretty great age.

Gone are the long stretches of sleepless nights. The days of diapers are behind us too. Even wiping butts is on its way out the poop shoot. Its a lot less labor intensive these days. The kids will play by themselves for at least 10 or 15 minutes before one of them injuries the other - intentionally or otherwise.

At four they really start to be able to interact. Sure, they could talk long ago, but it was mostly them communicating their needs. Now, they ask if they can help. They will actually go do something before being asked. One day, after weeks of fights and distressing mornings trying to get them ready to leave for school on time, they just showed up in our room fully dressed. I wasn't even aware they could get into their dresser, let alone that they could pick out clothes. But there they stood: three kids who fought tooth and nail to get dressed and downstairs and fed for eight straight weeks full of school days, completely ready to go.

I was dumbfounded.

And you can begin to teach them checkers. Or something like checkers, at any rate. I've heard you can teach them chess, but I've also seen dynamite used to rob a bank. I don't think you want to try that at home.

And they are helpful. Or at least, every bit as helpful as they can be. Sometimes that means that "cleaning up" consists of throwing everything they own into any available container, without regard for fit or function. Getting four-year-old triplets to clean properly is a little like trying to floss your teeth with the aforementioned dynamite; but who cares?

In the long run, it doesn't matter. What matters is that the bad days pass and the good, awesome days are what you remember.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Kids Believe Some Wild Things

First off, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. It is the holiday season, so this is going to be a quick and fun post. If you want something more serious, you can look my struggles with my daughter's self esteem  here , my blah attitude about the death of cursive here , and why I'm a very bad person here . All kids believe in some clearly wild ideas. Santa. The tooth fairy. Heck, some parents believe vaccines cause disease, so its hard to blame the kids. But mine might be taking it to new levels. For instance, my one son will repeatedly tell me how I'm the best Dad he knows. Its sweet. And gosh, its hard to deny. But I'm also pretty much the only Dad he knows. I guess his other point of reference is the Dad from Peppa Pig. Have you seen that guy? He's a half shaven, rotound pig with the manners you might expect of such a guy. Its a bit surprising he isn't usually adorned with a can of beer in his hand and food stains on his clothing. This suddenly sounds li...

NIGHTMARE: Three Kids; One Invite

Its a triplet parents worst nightmare, really. I only have triplets, so most of what I;m about to say about singletons is conjecture and assumption, but here goes: I imagine that when you have three kids of different ages its easy when only one of them is invited to a birthday party. Any younger child is probably interested in where an older sibling is going, but is easily refocused. Older children probably just don't care what a younger child is doing, but to the extent they are invested, I'd think its easy to explain to them. After all, they are probably in different schools, or at least different grades. They have different teachers, different classmates, and while they may share some friends, those are largely different as well. Not so with triplets When you have three kids all the same age they attend the same  school; often in the same class (as ours do). So when only one of them receives an invite, as our daughter did, its hard not  to feel slighted. After all, ...

Yesterday Was A No Good, Very Bad, Day

Yesterday was a no good, very bad, day. Not just yesterday, the last two or three days, really. I'm not even sure why. I am sure I have not been a good Dad or person these last few days. Maybe I'm not sleeping well - though I think I am. Maybe I'm not happy - though I think I am. Maybe I'm stressed out - though I have no reason to be. Heck, January was the best month for this blog by nearly any measure. The Robes broke up shortly after this show. Our piano player was moody. I've been short with the kids. Little things that  really should  roll off my shoulders have dug claws in me, edging me toward irritation. I've snapped. I've raised my voice. I've been very, very short. To the point my daughter has had to remind me to "take a deep breath, Daddy." A short aside: I'm so, so very proud of her for that. Because it really does defuse the situation; it really takes me out of the moment and allows me to reset. But when your 4-year-old ...