Skip to main content

Have You Ever Noticed: Simon Says Edition

My kids were playing Simon Says the other day and I have to say I’m outraged.  Have you ever seen kids play this game? Have your kids ever played?

In a world where we are uber concerned about critical thinking skills and are banning dodge ball out of safety concerns, I’m pretty sure we should make banning Simon Says a priority.

Because I’m fairly sure it’s a foreign plot to take over the country.

If you visit any comment board about anything remotely political, you’ll see some dolt cleverly refer to sheeple.  Sheeple: People who are sheep.  See.  It’s funny, because it is original.  Or, it at least it was original, if you first used it in like 1850.  Anyway…

What more is Simon Says than an exercise in making children into sheep?  I mean, come on.  Red-Light/Green-Light at least has the fact that its teaching rudimentary driving skills going for it.

Simon Says is essentially a sheeple generator.  It is a game composed entirely of unquestioningly following authority.  Just do as we say.  It doesn’t matter how tricky or confusing or nonsensical the command, follow or you lose.  Oh, and if we throw in a surprise trick, or ask the impossible of you, you lose as well.

Replace Simon with Authority and you get something like this:

Authority says rub your head.  Run in circles.  Oh wait. You didn’t get the proper permission to run in circles.  So sorry, you lose.  You must be some kind of right-wing militia nut. 

The rest of you, Authority says sing as loud as you can.  Stop stop stop.  That racket was getting on my nerves.  Wait.  Authority says stop.  If you who stopped on that first command - off to the gulags with you.  Good job those who remain.  You are awesome sheep, er, people.

Think about it.  The KGB could scarcely come up with a better way to brainwash people into towing the party line.  Hours of eyelid-pinned-open watching of propaganda films can't touch a childhood game specially formulated to create a supplicating citizenship.  Come to think of it, does any one know where this game originated?  Because this stinks of a game some secret society infiltrating society with this game to weed out the rebellious element.  Donald Trump is worried about criminals crossing the border, but we suffer from an even scarier threat: The Freemasons might be brainwashing our kids!

Don't think it matters? Let me ask you this: You think Luke Skywalker was good at Simon Says?  If so, you must be a sheeple yourself.  There is no way Skywalker, with his head in the clouds and never on what he was doing, was good at Simon Says. You know who was really awesome at Simon Says?  Storm troopers. That is right. Clones genetically designed to be good and faithful servants. People who would follow orders without questioning. 

They would would be awesome at Simon Says.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Mocking Redheads Bullying? If Not, What Is?

Its Super Bowl time, and since my team didn't make it, I haven't been paying very close attention.  But I got to talking with Aaron Gouveia on Twitter after I noticed one of his tweets about how a redhead would never QB a team to said Super Bowl.  Essentially, Aaron was mocking redheads.  My team doesn't have a redheaded QB, so we are safe (for now!), but I mentioned to him that this might fall under the term of bullying.  Aaron, in case you don't know, is rightfully well known in the Daddy-bloggersphere for his excellent  Daddy Files blog.  Seriously, go read it now,  and follow @DaddyFiles on Twitter.  And before I really get going on this rant, let me say: I get it.  Even as great as Gouveia is, he probably can't hold candle to the prestige, money and social status of a Pro-Bowl NFL player like Andy Dalton.  Andy Dalton could never do another thing in the NFL and probably still have more name recognition, money and power than Gouveia ever will.  This isn't e

NIGHTMARE: Three Kids; One Invite

Its a triplet parents worst nightmare, really. I only have triplets, so most of what I;m about to say about singletons is conjecture and assumption, but here goes: I imagine that when you have three kids of different ages its easy when only one of them is invited to a birthday party. Any younger child is probably interested in where an older sibling is going, but is easily refocused. Older children probably just don't care what a younger child is doing, but to the extent they are invested, I'd think its easy to explain to them. After all, they are probably in different schools, or at least different grades. They have different teachers, different classmates, and while they may share some friends, those are largely different as well. Not so with triplets When you have three kids all the same age they attend the same  school; often in the same class (as ours do). So when only one of them receives an invite, as our daughter did, its hard not  to feel slighted. After all, t

My Kids Believe Some Wild Things

First off, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. It is the holiday season, so this is going to be a quick and fun post. If you want something more serious, you can look my struggles with my daughter's self esteem  here , my blah attitude about the death of cursive here , and why I'm a very bad person here . All kids believe in some clearly wild ideas. Santa. The tooth fairy. Heck, some parents believe vaccines cause disease, so its hard to blame the kids. But mine might be taking it to new levels. For instance, my one son will repeatedly tell me how I'm the best Dad he knows. Its sweet. And gosh, its hard to deny. But I'm also pretty much the only Dad he knows. I guess his other point of reference is the Dad from Peppa Pig. Have you seen that guy? He's a half shaven, rotound pig with the manners you might expect of such a guy. Its a bit surprising he isn't usually adorned with a can of beer in his hand and food stains on his clothing. This suddenly sounds li