Skip to main content

Jail Break!

WHOA!
We had a good run.  We really did. For 3 years and eight months our kids stayed in their cribs.

They never once climbed out.  I realize this is something close to a miracle.  I hear plenty of stories of kids climbing out of their cribs to mark first birthdays.  Even more don't make age two.  For 3 years and eight months of glorious time we could simply put the kids in their cribs and there they stayed.  That was time I got to myself, to play video games or read or relax or to undertake home projects.  Sure, they might jump around and talk; occasionally they would scream.  But they stayed put.

Until yesterday.

Uh oh.

I've been battling a head cold all week.  If you think triplets sound daunting, try it with a body that feels like its underwater.  The kids went into their cribs at their normal times and talked up a storm.  But just as I was getting off work, they settled just a bit and I thought I might get a minutes rest.  Think again.

From somewhere in the house comes a loud "thump."  I grab the monitor.  Everything appears in place. But then Rand's head zips along the bottom of the screen like some kind of Pong paddle.  I see Sadie straddle her own crib rails.  I take off upstairs.

I crest the top stair just in time to hear Rand say conspiratorially "Ok, I go get him."  He turns and sees me, his eyes as big as flying saucers.  He clearly knows something outside the bounds of normal occurred.

Things like this always pull me in two directions.  I loved that we could put the kids down and know that, no matter how sick or tired we were or whatever else we had to do, they would stay there.  Turn the monitor down real low and we were free to some extent.

But another part me wondered why they hadn't climbed out yet.  Liam fears heights a bit and can be tentative, but Rand doesn't share those qualities.  Sadie is a slight but surprisingly strong thing.  But all three clearly have enough strength to climb out at this point.  Why hadn't they climbed out?  Do they lack the intellectual ability to see that they can get out on their own?  Do they lack the independence to do so?  Are they such followers they will sit in a cage for an hour rather than roam their own room?

That isn't quite how that works, Liam.
I sometimes wonder whether raising a really great adult requires dealing with really awful children.  Mediocre people are often followers; people who can't see the unique in the average.  Great adults think outside the box and always one step ahead.  Those aren't qualities you necessarily want from your toddler.  A great adult can be hard to work with, but often easy enough to avoid or placate.  You can't leave your toddler for another toddler.  Parenting is exhausting enough without having to do it with someone who is already a move ahead.

Are my kids destined for mediocrity?  I worry sometimes.

Not that it mattered.  We were about to lose our glorious, carefree days anyway.  As chance would have it, we planned on putting the kids into big beds this weekend.  Our free time was dead one way or another.

This was just a big exclamation point on that death.

That night the kids all stayed put.  It is sorta amazing.  And its certainly going to be interesting.  Sadie already wants to know what happens now when she needs to go pee.  The kids have tasted freedom.  Who knows what that means once the big kid beds go in on Friday or Saturday.  I'm sure I'll let you know, so stay tuned.

But for now: At what age did your kids finally escape from cribs?  Did you just get rid of them or did they force the issue by climbing out?  Were they good when they finally went to big kid beds?  Please let me know in the comments.  I'm interested in hearing about it.  Lord knows I could use the advice and moral support.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Mocking Redheads Bullying? If Not, What Is?

Its Super Bowl time, and since my team didn't make it, I haven't been paying very close attention.  But I got to talking with Aaron Gouveia on Twitter after I noticed one of his tweets about how a redhead would never QB a team to said Super Bowl.  Essentially, Aaron was mocking redheads.  My team doesn't have a redheaded QB, so we are safe (for now!), but I mentioned to him that this might fall under the term of bullying.  Aaron, in case you don't know, is rightfully well known in the Daddy-bloggersphere for his excellent  Daddy Files blog.  Seriously, go read it now,  and follow @DaddyFiles on Twitter.  And before I really get going on this rant, let me say: I get it.  Even as great as Gouveia is, he probably can't hold candle to the prestige, money and social status of a Pro-Bowl NFL player like Andy Dalton.  Andy Dalton could never do another thing in the NFL and probably still have more name recognition, money and power than Gouveia ever will.  This isn't e

NIGHTMARE: Three Kids; One Invite

Its a triplet parents worst nightmare, really. I only have triplets, so most of what I;m about to say about singletons is conjecture and assumption, but here goes: I imagine that when you have three kids of different ages its easy when only one of them is invited to a birthday party. Any younger child is probably interested in where an older sibling is going, but is easily refocused. Older children probably just don't care what a younger child is doing, but to the extent they are invested, I'd think its easy to explain to them. After all, they are probably in different schools, or at least different grades. They have different teachers, different classmates, and while they may share some friends, those are largely different as well. Not so with triplets When you have three kids all the same age they attend the same  school; often in the same class (as ours do). So when only one of them receives an invite, as our daughter did, its hard not  to feel slighted. After all, t

My Kids Believe Some Wild Things

First off, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. It is the holiday season, so this is going to be a quick and fun post. If you want something more serious, you can look my struggles with my daughter's self esteem  here , my blah attitude about the death of cursive here , and why I'm a very bad person here . All kids believe in some clearly wild ideas. Santa. The tooth fairy. Heck, some parents believe vaccines cause disease, so its hard to blame the kids. But mine might be taking it to new levels. For instance, my one son will repeatedly tell me how I'm the best Dad he knows. Its sweet. And gosh, its hard to deny. But I'm also pretty much the only Dad he knows. I guess his other point of reference is the Dad from Peppa Pig. Have you seen that guy? He's a half shaven, rotound pig with the manners you might expect of such a guy. Its a bit surprising he isn't usually adorned with a can of beer in his hand and food stains on his clothing. This suddenly sounds li