Skip to main content

Cellphones, Oh The Horrors, The Horrors!

It's Spring time, so of course parents are going to be outside with their kids at the playground.  And if adults are outside, of course they have their cell phones on them.  And it someone has some piece of relatively new tech with them, of course some Luddite is going to complain.

It happened this week when my Facebook feed lit up with a post chastising a Mom at a playground for being on her phone.  Being on her phone while... what exactly was happening?

What exactly was she missing?  The story chastises her for missing, well, I guess its point is that she is missing her child's childhood.  In reality, as I mentioned in a previous post, she is missing no such thing.  If she is any kind of parent, she has seen her kid climb steps and go down a slide.

What the post ignores is that we outsiders have no idea what she is doing on that phone.  Sure, it fits into our nice preconceived notion if she is texting a friend (oooooh, please let be a drug dealer!) or playing Flappy Bird, but what if her sister is in the hospital and she is getting updates?  What if her husband is texting to say he'll be late?  We just don't know.

We also don't know what the rest of her day has been like.  Maybe she has spent all day doing art projects and playing Legos with her kids and took them here both as a  treat for them and herself.  Why do we ignore this possibility?  In my experience its at least as likely as the idea that she has been on her phone ignoring her kids all day long.

I mean, sure, we can assume the worst.  But in that case, why not just assume the Mom brought her kids to the playground as part of a devious plan between her and her husband to leave the kids there?  Perhaps she is texting her husband at that moment about how, ahahaha, the plan is working perfectly and she will be home shortly?

In short, you can be a perfectly good parent and text while your kids are at the playground.  And because you are giving them space and letting them play and learn for themselves and giving yourself some time to unwind, you might just be a better parent for it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Mocking Redheads Bullying? If Not, What Is?

Its Super Bowl time, and since my team didn't make it, I haven't been paying very close attention.  But I got to talking with Aaron Gouveia on Twitter after I noticed one of his tweets about how a redhead would never QB a team to said Super Bowl.  Essentially, Aaron was mocking redheads.  My team doesn't have a redheaded QB, so we are safe (for now!), but I mentioned to him that this might fall under the term of bullying.  Aaron, in case you don't know, is rightfully well known in the Daddy-bloggersphere for his excellent  Daddy Files blog.  Seriously, go read it now,  and follow @DaddyFiles on Twitter.  And before I really get going on this rant, let me say: I get it.  Even as great as Gouveia is, he probably can't hold candle to the prestige, money and social status of a Pro-Bowl NFL player like Andy Dalton.  Andy Dalton could never do another thing in the NFL and probably still have more name recognition, money and power than Gouveia ever will.  This isn't e

NIGHTMARE: Three Kids; One Invite

Its a triplet parents worst nightmare, really. I only have triplets, so most of what I;m about to say about singletons is conjecture and assumption, but here goes: I imagine that when you have three kids of different ages its easy when only one of them is invited to a birthday party. Any younger child is probably interested in where an older sibling is going, but is easily refocused. Older children probably just don't care what a younger child is doing, but to the extent they are invested, I'd think its easy to explain to them. After all, they are probably in different schools, or at least different grades. They have different teachers, different classmates, and while they may share some friends, those are largely different as well. Not so with triplets When you have three kids all the same age they attend the same  school; often in the same class (as ours do). So when only one of them receives an invite, as our daughter did, its hard not  to feel slighted. After all, t

My Kids Believe Some Wild Things

First off, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. It is the holiday season, so this is going to be a quick and fun post. If you want something more serious, you can look my struggles with my daughter's self esteem  here , my blah attitude about the death of cursive here , and why I'm a very bad person here . All kids believe in some clearly wild ideas. Santa. The tooth fairy. Heck, some parents believe vaccines cause disease, so its hard to blame the kids. But mine might be taking it to new levels. For instance, my one son will repeatedly tell me how I'm the best Dad he knows. Its sweet. And gosh, its hard to deny. But I'm also pretty much the only Dad he knows. I guess his other point of reference is the Dad from Peppa Pig. Have you seen that guy? He's a half shaven, rotound pig with the manners you might expect of such a guy. Its a bit surprising he isn't usually adorned with a can of beer in his hand and food stains on his clothing. This suddenly sounds li