Skip to main content

He's got, Poopie Eyes

Everybody wants their kids to hit that important milestone of speaking.  Right up until they do.

We were the same.  One of my concerns is that I sometimes have a dirty mouth.  Not the “doesn’t brush his teeth” kind.  My teeth are fairly immaculate.  I’m talking the “swears more than he sometimes should” type.  I never swore on what you would term a regular basis, but I’m a true believer that certain occasions call for a good curse word.  Car accidents; for instance.  If you are ever in one, even a minor one, having the F word be the first thing out of your mouth is a perfectly acceptable situation, in my opinion.

But at times in my life the definition of “acceptable situation” slide a bit; sometimes more than a bit.  During those times, I would find things like not getting a letter in the mail sufficient reason to let go with a chosen word. 

As in: “S***, the mail came and I didn’t get this letter to the mailbox yet.”  Sometimes that S word slide over to make way for the F word.  You get the idea.

Then we had kids.  Now I had to worry about them running around the doctor’s office while I explained how S*** and F*** were the first two words they learned.  “Yes, doctor the kids seem to be coming along nicely.  Yep, hitting all the milestones.  What’s that?  Words?  Well, yeah, they know a couple…  Do they use them regularly?  No; not if we can help it.”

I’ll be damned if I was going to be that Dad, so I tightened up the swearing requirements.

Fast forward to the end of a nice, quiet family dinner.  I’m cleaning up dishes or some such when one of sons comes up to me and says: “Daddy, asswipe.” 

Did he just say what I thought he said?  I stood there staring at him; stunned.  My first thought was “where did he learn that?”  The second was, “what has my wife been saying behind my back?”

Despite myself a small grin grew on my face.  Because during any parenting journey there are times you want to laugh at your kids in spite of yourself and the fact that you know it will only encourage rotten behavior.  This was certainly one of them.  Laugh now, encourage this here, and he’ll be running around saying this funny word for a week or more.  Worse yet, all three will probably be running around saying it.  Not because they know what it means, but because, hey, Daddy laughed that one time – it must be funny.  I learned this lesson the really hard way.  Some time early my kid picked up the words Poopie Eyes.  This may or may not have been the result of me singing “Hungry Eyes” one day.  I can’t recall.  Anyway, he and I and my wife all thought this was hilariously funny.  Poopie Eyes!  It remained funny right up until he called a kid playing unnecessarily rough at the playground Poopie Eyes; not so funny anymore.  Try to unteach a 2-year-old a word that his parents found amusing for a month.  It is like alchemy.  There just isn’t any way to turn iron into gold or a funny word into a verboten one.  It just isn’t possible.

“Daddy, asswipe,” he repeated.

I looked into the playroom and asked my wife what she had been teaching our kids.

“Daddy, asswipe.”  More urgently this time.

Shook from my shock I noticed his outstretched hands.  He wanted his hands wiped; “answiped” in his lingo.  I laughed.  He hadn’t learned to swear yet, and my wife was not secretly hating on my behind my back. 

Bullet dodged. 

At least until the next time I teach him something that comes back to bite me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Mocking Redheads Bullying? If Not, What Is?

Its Super Bowl time, and since my team didn't make it, I haven't been paying very close attention.  But I got to talking with Aaron Gouveia on Twitter after I noticed one of his tweets about how a redhead would never QB a team to said Super Bowl.  Essentially, Aaron was mocking redheads.  My team doesn't have a redheaded QB, so we are safe (for now!), but I mentioned to him that this might fall under the term of bullying.  Aaron, in case you don't know, is rightfully well known in the Daddy-bloggersphere for his excellent  Daddy Files blog.  Seriously, go read it now,  and follow @DaddyFiles on Twitter.  And before I really get going on this rant, let me say: I get it.  Even as great as Gouveia is, he probably can't hold candle to the prestige, money and social status of a Pro-Bowl NFL player like Andy Dalton.  Andy Dalton could never do another thing in the NFL and probably still have more name recognition, money and power than Gouveia ever will.  This isn't e

My Kids Believe Some Wild Things

First off, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. It is the holiday season, so this is going to be a quick and fun post. If you want something more serious, you can look my struggles with my daughter's self esteem  here , my blah attitude about the death of cursive here , and why I'm a very bad person here . All kids believe in some clearly wild ideas. Santa. The tooth fairy. Heck, some parents believe vaccines cause disease, so its hard to blame the kids. But mine might be taking it to new levels. For instance, my one son will repeatedly tell me how I'm the best Dad he knows. Its sweet. And gosh, its hard to deny. But I'm also pretty much the only Dad he knows. I guess his other point of reference is the Dad from Peppa Pig. Have you seen that guy? He's a half shaven, rotound pig with the manners you might expect of such a guy. Its a bit surprising he isn't usually adorned with a can of beer in his hand and food stains on his clothing. This suddenly sounds li

NIGHTMARE: Three Kids; One Invite

Its a triplet parents worst nightmare, really. I only have triplets, so most of what I;m about to say about singletons is conjecture and assumption, but here goes: I imagine that when you have three kids of different ages its easy when only one of them is invited to a birthday party. Any younger child is probably interested in where an older sibling is going, but is easily refocused. Older children probably just don't care what a younger child is doing, but to the extent they are invested, I'd think its easy to explain to them. After all, they are probably in different schools, or at least different grades. They have different teachers, different classmates, and while they may share some friends, those are largely different as well. Not so with triplets When you have three kids all the same age they attend the same  school; often in the same class (as ours do). So when only one of them receives an invite, as our daughter did, its hard not  to feel slighted. After all, t