Skip to main content

The Power of 3

There is a dirty little secret about correcting children: It relies entirely on an unspoken contract between parent and child.  The contract goes something like this: 
“Wherefore I am the adult and the only party with any type of long-range planning skills and knowledge about the wider world I will make the rules.  Whereas you are a high-energy, low-knowledge individual with a need for immediate gratification that can be both destructive and dangerous, you will follow those rules for both your betterment and the betterment of the world at large.  Decreed that since as adult I am bigger, stronger, generally faster and for the time smarter you will listen to these rules and obey the consequences.”
 Some of us parents are breaking the compact.

You see that last clause in our contract?  That part about being stronger, smarter, etc. etc.?  The dirtiest secret about correcting your kids is that if they simply don’t listen you really have nothing you can do.  You can tape them to their time out chair, but the reality is that there is nothing you can do that really will have any impact.  Some kids are genetically rebels and will push really hard, but all 2-year olds push boundaries.  But lets face it, no matter how far they push that boundary, you will still feed and love them and give them toys.  It is an occupational hazard of loving what amounts to a sociopath.  
The greatest video game of all time knew the Power of 3
The Power of Three.

What is more, our contract includes small print that essentially gives the kids the option to opt out of the contract at any point.  I haven't included the language, because its a state-of-the-art secret among toddlers.  You'll have to ask Honest Toddler.  Anyway, thanks to this small print hidden in our contract, your kids will eventually stop listening to you at some point.  With any luck they will be 25 when that happens.  At that point they are pretty much fully formed adults.  At any rate, if they do something stupid at 25, the parent is usually off the hook.  The scary thing is that kids can stop listening just as easily at 2.5-years old as easily as they can at 25-years old.  It's your choice really.  Do you want a fully educated, fully competent 25-year old not listening to you or a stark raging mad 2.5-year old hell bent on crayoning a wall doing it?  Because if you aren’t following through with your threats and punishments, then you are just asking your 2.5-year old to figure out that the contract is a nullity if they don’t want to follow it and crayoning that wall.

I choose the former, so I follow through.  As a result, I’m really, really good at counting to 3.  Really good. And I get lots of practice, because I count to 3 a lot.     

I mentioned last post that I - to the horror of the Twitterverse - recently took my two-year-old triplets to the grocery store by myself.  I felt completely comfortable doing this because we respect the Power of 3.

***

Let me explain

When one - or two or three - of the triplets is doing something we don’t want to encourage, we give them a solid three count to stop.  If they don’t, its either into time out or we force them to do what we want.  So if they are screaming or hitting its time out, and if they are dilly dallying going upstairs, getting to three means we go and pick them up. Consistently; every time.

One of the things about two-year olds is that they really, really want to do everything themselves.  Everything.  If you tell me your kid’s first sentence wasn’t “Me do” I’ll call you a liar-liar-pants-on-fire.  The trick is that a two-year old wants to take those steps themselves, or lie down for a diaper change themselves or walk to the car themselves.  Anyway, you want to twist that to your advantage.  If they know that after “3” they will be carried to their destination, well, they get a pretty good hop in their step at “2.” 

The second is that kids are much, much smarter than we give them credit for.  Sure, their minds may only be able to verbalize 150 words and string together 3-word sentences, but inside that brain case neurons are firing at rates that would shock you and I.  I’m pretty convinced two-year olds are as smart as 5-year olds but simply lack the ability to express it.  This second point mean you have to follow through.  If you sometimes just let it go or don’t follow through, well, they won’t care, or fear, when that 3 comes.  If you don’t follow through they know its probably only 50-50 that you’ll come get them that time.  Why give up playing time now when they can garner a couple more minutes and end up in the same place – i.e. upstairs/timeout?  When you don’t follow through only you, the parent, loses.  The kids gets the “now” part of his play and still ends in the same place.  Its only you, the parent, who gets frustrated and angry.  Follow through.  

Seriously.  Its your only weapon because, as I've explained, the kids can break the contract at any time. What are you going to do when that happens? 

So lay out the repercussion; count to three, and then follow through.  Its in the contract.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Mocking Redheads Bullying? If Not, What Is?

Its Super Bowl time, and since my team didn't make it, I haven't been paying very close attention.  But I got to talking with Aaron Gouveia on Twitter after I noticed one of his tweets about how a redhead would never QB a team to said Super Bowl.  Essentially, Aaron was mocking redheads.  My team doesn't have a redheaded QB, so we are safe (for now!), but I mentioned to him that this might fall under the term of bullying.  Aaron, in case you don't know, is rightfully well known in the Daddy-bloggersphere for his excellent  Daddy Files blog.  Seriously, go read it now,  and follow @DaddyFiles on Twitter.  And before I really get going on this rant, let me say: I get it.  Even as great as Gouveia is, he probably can't hold candle to the prestige, money and social status of a Pro-Bowl NFL player like Andy Dalton.  Andy Dalton could never do another thing in the NFL and probably still have more name recognition, money and power than Gouveia ever will.  This isn't e

NIGHTMARE: Three Kids; One Invite

Its a triplet parents worst nightmare, really. I only have triplets, so most of what I;m about to say about singletons is conjecture and assumption, but here goes: I imagine that when you have three kids of different ages its easy when only one of them is invited to a birthday party. Any younger child is probably interested in where an older sibling is going, but is easily refocused. Older children probably just don't care what a younger child is doing, but to the extent they are invested, I'd think its easy to explain to them. After all, they are probably in different schools, or at least different grades. They have different teachers, different classmates, and while they may share some friends, those are largely different as well. Not so with triplets When you have three kids all the same age they attend the same  school; often in the same class (as ours do). So when only one of them receives an invite, as our daughter did, its hard not  to feel slighted. After all, t

My Kids Believe Some Wild Things

First off, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. It is the holiday season, so this is going to be a quick and fun post. If you want something more serious, you can look my struggles with my daughter's self esteem  here , my blah attitude about the death of cursive here , and why I'm a very bad person here . All kids believe in some clearly wild ideas. Santa. The tooth fairy. Heck, some parents believe vaccines cause disease, so its hard to blame the kids. But mine might be taking it to new levels. For instance, my one son will repeatedly tell me how I'm the best Dad he knows. Its sweet. And gosh, its hard to deny. But I'm also pretty much the only Dad he knows. I guess his other point of reference is the Dad from Peppa Pig. Have you seen that guy? He's a half shaven, rotound pig with the manners you might expect of such a guy. Its a bit surprising he isn't usually adorned with a can of beer in his hand and food stains on his clothing. This suddenly sounds li