Skip to main content

It Isn't Scary; It Is Daunting

My wife pointed out that my previous post about fearing my kids probably wasn’t accurate.  I think she is correct.  Don’t go back and read it.  It wasn’t my best work.  Most of the best stuff made its way here.

I don’t really fear my kids.  Fear isn’t the proper word.

When I’ve been up late the night before and work has kicked my butt and my eyes are struggling to stay open and I’m still staring at 3 or 4 hours of 3-against-1 odds it isn’t fear I’m feeling.  Instead it’s a sense of just how daunting the task ahead is.

Daunting.

That sums it up.

The odds are bad enough.  As the first sonogram revealed one, and maybe 2, embryos, my wife turned to me and asked: “are you OK with that, honey?”  I said “yeah, I just don’t want to be outnumbered.  Man-to-man coverage is fine, I just don’t want to play zone.”

Famous last words and all because of course a week later we learned that one grainy black-and-white image might hold 5 embryos.  Where and how?  I have no idea.  But I’m told they crammed in there somehow, someway.  Suddenly three-against-one seemed like a fair fight.

But it has never been fair.  As my wife will tell you, I tend to focus really hard on one thing or 100 things all at once.  Which is great in some ways: My mind works something like a child’s mind, so I’m right there with the triplets mentally.  On the other hand, I’m not supposed to be empathizing with them, I’m supposed to be guiding them.

As an adult with my disposition I’m stuck.  I love sitting on the front porch watching the cars go by, and my kids do as well.  It’s a great, shared, time together.  But the whole experience occurs at a different speed for them than it does for me.  For them, 5 fleeting minutes of buses and cars and they are already headed in three different directions; I’ve only just sat down.

And of course, leaving the house, like, ever, is a herculean task.  Not impossible, but herculean.  My wife, who is much more of a planner and organizer than I am, does this much better.  She will tell you I simply don't think far enough ahead.  I think she is right; and lying.  I think its herculean for her as well.  She simply won't admit to a failure to plan.

And there are things we will never do.  I'll never be able to take my one kid to the pool.  Sure, we can split the threesome up in practice, but in reality its not so easy.  Either because they fear missing an adventure or because they fell like they are missing a limb, they are easily disturbed if one of them sets off without them.  So while the math of breaking them up is easy, the application is a bit tougher.  I guess their attitude might suggest we should do it more often than we do, but the practical realities make that difficult.  There are only so many fights that can be fought.  I'm proud of the job we do, but there are certainly more things that could be done.

Daunting.

I'm planning to take all three to the playground on an upcoming night when the wife is out.  I figure with her gone for the afternoon and evening Team Boy (with honorary member Sadie) can go out and have some fun.  But what to do for dinner?  For them, its not so bad.  They don't really mind lukewarm food from a can.  I, on the other hand, would prefer not to eat like some post-apocalyptic survivor.  But what to do?  I'll drive by the place I'd order from, but can I go in an pick it up?  Can I really leave the kids in the car?  And what if the 1 minute stop becomes a five minute stop?  What if the kids are cranky?  What if what if.

Daunting.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Mocking Redheads Bullying? If Not, What Is?

Its Super Bowl time, and since my team didn't make it, I haven't been paying very close attention.  But I got to talking with Aaron Gouveia on Twitter after I noticed one of his tweets about how a redhead would never QB a team to said Super Bowl.  Essentially, Aaron was mocking redheads.  My team doesn't have a redheaded QB, so we are safe (for now!), but I mentioned to him that this might fall under the term of bullying.  Aaron, in case you don't know, is rightfully well known in the Daddy-bloggersphere for his excellent  Daddy Files blog.  Seriously, go read it now,  and follow @DaddyFiles on Twitter.  And before I really get going on this rant, let me say: I get it.  Even as great as Gouveia is, he probably can't hold candle to the prestige, money and social status of a Pro-Bowl NFL player like Andy Dalton.  Andy Dalton could never do another thing in the NFL and probably still have more name recognition, money and power than Gouveia ever will.  This isn't e

My Kids Believe Some Wild Things

First off, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. It is the holiday season, so this is going to be a quick and fun post. If you want something more serious, you can look my struggles with my daughter's self esteem  here , my blah attitude about the death of cursive here , and why I'm a very bad person here . All kids believe in some clearly wild ideas. Santa. The tooth fairy. Heck, some parents believe vaccines cause disease, so its hard to blame the kids. But mine might be taking it to new levels. For instance, my one son will repeatedly tell me how I'm the best Dad he knows. Its sweet. And gosh, its hard to deny. But I'm also pretty much the only Dad he knows. I guess his other point of reference is the Dad from Peppa Pig. Have you seen that guy? He's a half shaven, rotound pig with the manners you might expect of such a guy. Its a bit surprising he isn't usually adorned with a can of beer in his hand and food stains on his clothing. This suddenly sounds li

NIGHTMARE: Three Kids; One Invite

Its a triplet parents worst nightmare, really. I only have triplets, so most of what I;m about to say about singletons is conjecture and assumption, but here goes: I imagine that when you have three kids of different ages its easy when only one of them is invited to a birthday party. Any younger child is probably interested in where an older sibling is going, but is easily refocused. Older children probably just don't care what a younger child is doing, but to the extent they are invested, I'd think its easy to explain to them. After all, they are probably in different schools, or at least different grades. They have different teachers, different classmates, and while they may share some friends, those are largely different as well. Not so with triplets When you have three kids all the same age they attend the same  school; often in the same class (as ours do). So when only one of them receives an invite, as our daughter did, its hard not  to feel slighted. After all, t