Skip to main content

Mom! Mom! Mom!

Mama; mama; mama; mama. My daughter kept repeating the same name and getting no response, which is a shame because my wife was only a room away. Seems sad, doesn't it? And it is. But not for any of the reasons that you probably think.

Because while she was saying mama, she actually wanted me. She was looking right at me, in fact.

Mama; mama; mama; mama.

If it was a one-off thing, I'd probably chalk it up to a mistake. Heck, I'll run through each of my kids' names before landing on the one I want sometimes.

Sadly, its not; a one-off thing, that is.

Sadie is notorious for loving when her family is "close." I love that about her. But its one thing to miss Mom; I get that. Look sweetie, I miss Mom too. I should mention Mom is around every weekend all weekend long and for long periods pretty much every day. I'd wager a guess my kids see both their parents more than most kids see a parent who works.

Ingrates

What gets me is that the minute I correct her in the absence of her Mom or get the littlest bit angry, she immediately breaks down and starts screaming "I miss my Mommy!"

When Rand broke his foot recently his mom was the only comfort he wanted. He didn't want comforting words from me or hugs or cuddles. Which again, if it was only this one instance I might chalk up to some kind of genetic mothering thing.

But this is a kid who kisses his mom goodnight every night, but for the longest time only kissed me every other night. I've seen broken through and been granted the every night treatment as well, but that stings a Dad's ego, you know.

Are these the worst indignities ever? No. Of course not. But because I work from home I'm the one who does most of the bathing, food prep/planning and single care of the damn kids. I'm sure it sucks for stay-at-home Moms who have to shoulder most of the childcare. But at least they get to be the first in line for love.

Not us Dads - or me, at least - nope, I get the stay-at-home Dad shoulder burdens while also being second fiddle.

Ingrates.

Speaking of young people doing really surprising things that you can't help but love... for better or for worse I've had Justin Bieber's Love Yourself song stuck in my head for days. Seriously, you can't avoid it on most any station that plays anything resembling pop music.

And it is catchy. Which kinds of sucks, because I really want to dislike Justin Bieber for all the reasons everyone else hates him. For his sheer Bieberness, his youth, his popularity and all that Bieliber stuff. And because of course my wife saw how good the song was WAY before I did. And I really don't want to admit she was spot on. But of course she was; because she always is. Its a little exhausting being married to someone so awesome, but that is a different story for a different time. She really is awesome.

Any way, like most people I love to make my own words up to songs. Its how probably how "poopie eyes" ended up being a few of my kids' first choice words. Anyway, I've had this song stuck in my head for days, and it conspired with current events to create this Weird Al type (seriously kids, look him up, he is pretty famous and good at what he does) song. So I'll just leave it right here for you:

Your mama loves you but she can't be here all the time
And I know that I can be difficult,
Because I never like to admit that I was wrong

But if you think that I'm hiding your toy
You should go and look t yourself
'Cause its literally right beside you


Oh, baby, you should go and look yourself

And I know I've been so caught up in my "adult stuff,"
I didn't see who hit who,
But one thing I know,
You're better sleeping on your own
So get back to bed and be quiet

Cause if you think that I'm hiding your toy
You should go and look yourself
'Cause its literally right beside you
Oh, baby, you should go and look yourself

And when you told me that you hated my dinner
The only problem was with you and not it
And every time you told me my rules were wrong
Did you forget that you are 4 and not the boss


Cause if you think that I'm hiding your toy
You should go and look yourself
'Cause its literally right beside you
Oh, baby, you should go and look yourself

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Kids Believe Some Wild Things

First off, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. It is the holiday season, so this is going to be a quick and fun post. If you want something more serious, you can look my struggles with my daughter's self esteem  here , my blah attitude about the death of cursive here , and why I'm a very bad person here . All kids believe in some clearly wild ideas. Santa. The tooth fairy. Heck, some parents believe vaccines cause disease, so its hard to blame the kids. But mine might be taking it to new levels. For instance, my one son will repeatedly tell me how I'm the best Dad he knows. Its sweet. And gosh, its hard to deny. But I'm also pretty much the only Dad he knows. I guess his other point of reference is the Dad from Peppa Pig. Have you seen that guy? He's a half shaven, rotound pig with the manners you might expect of such a guy. Its a bit surprising he isn't usually adorned with a can of beer in his hand and food stains on his clothing. This suddenly sounds li...

NIGHTMARE: Three Kids; One Invite

Its a triplet parents worst nightmare, really. I only have triplets, so most of what I;m about to say about singletons is conjecture and assumption, but here goes: I imagine that when you have three kids of different ages its easy when only one of them is invited to a birthday party. Any younger child is probably interested in where an older sibling is going, but is easily refocused. Older children probably just don't care what a younger child is doing, but to the extent they are invested, I'd think its easy to explain to them. After all, they are probably in different schools, or at least different grades. They have different teachers, different classmates, and while they may share some friends, those are largely different as well. Not so with triplets When you have three kids all the same age they attend the same  school; often in the same class (as ours do). So when only one of them receives an invite, as our daughter did, its hard not  to feel slighted. After all, ...

Yesterday Was A No Good, Very Bad, Day

Yesterday was a no good, very bad, day. Not just yesterday, the last two or three days, really. I'm not even sure why. I am sure I have not been a good Dad or person these last few days. Maybe I'm not sleeping well - though I think I am. Maybe I'm not happy - though I think I am. Maybe I'm stressed out - though I have no reason to be. Heck, January was the best month for this blog by nearly any measure. The Robes broke up shortly after this show. Our piano player was moody. I've been short with the kids. Little things that  really should  roll off my shoulders have dug claws in me, edging me toward irritation. I've snapped. I've raised my voice. I've been very, very short. To the point my daughter has had to remind me to "take a deep breath, Daddy." A short aside: I'm so, so very proud of her for that. Because it really does defuse the situation; it really takes me out of the moment and allows me to reset. But when your 4-year-old ...