Skip to main content

Tuesday Trip Tip!

If you are like me, you really enjoying working out.

But lets face it, almost none of you are like me. You likely aren't 6'2"; you almost certainly don't have triplets; and  most importantly, you probably don't like working out.

Approximately 140% of everyone made some kind health/workout related New Year resolution we have since forgotten.

I'm no personal trainer, and I'm not a licensed physician or anesthesiologist, But if you want to get in the best shape possible in the shortest amount of time possible - a must for triplet parents - try Keelo.

What I like:
Quick routines: sometimes as short as 9 minutes, but as many as 20. It is, as you may have guessed, HIIT (high intensity interval training). The "quick" is important when you have a full-time job and triplets.
Customization: tell the app what you have available; it tailors your workout. Have dumbbells and jump rope? It will push exercise routines featuring that equipment. Having nothing? Fear not, the app will create body-weight workouts for you.
Variety: This isn't the same 4 workouts again and again. Even if you have nothing at hand, there are enough body weight workouts to keep you interested.
Challenge: I've tried something like 4 workout apps out of the 12 dozen available. One thing I like about Keelo is the challenge. It appears to ramp up your suggested workout based on how you rated the workouts before. I'm probably fitter than average, and the workouts are a challenge. It also offers scaled-down exercises for almost every routine so beginners won't be scared off.
Reminders: The app will prompt you at a set time if you haven't worked out yet, and while you can select any workout, it recommends one and gives you an alternative.

What I don't:
Nothing. It isn't free, which I guess is something to complain about in a world of free apps. But you can try it free, and after the first six or so workouts it provides a discount on the app. I forget the price, but it was small and well worth it. Also, the name. Keelo. What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Runner up: Sworkit.
What I like:
Quick routines: Pick your total time working out, the amount you spend on each exercise and how much rest in between. This is great when you have only a little time during nap. And the "Fit in Five" minutes feature is nice.
Customization: You can pick how long you work out, rest, etc. etc. but not which exercises and you can't add weights - its all body weight. Which is fine as far as it goes, but you might find yourself undermatched if you are relatively fit.
Variety: Fairly decent amount of exercises.

Why its a runner up:
Challenge: 30 seconds of jumping jacks with 15 seconds rest is still just 30 seconds of jumping jacks.  A mere warm up exercise for most people even if it is followed by 30 seconds of T-push ups. The difficulty is just a little all over the place.
Variety: There is a fair mix here, but some of the exercises - jumping jacks for instance - are too simple to really be effective, IMO.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Kids Believe Some Wild Things

First off, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. It is the holiday season, so this is going to be a quick and fun post. If you want something more serious, you can look my struggles with my daughter's self esteem  here , my blah attitude about the death of cursive here , and why I'm a very bad person here . All kids believe in some clearly wild ideas. Santa. The tooth fairy. Heck, some parents believe vaccines cause disease, so its hard to blame the kids. But mine might be taking it to new levels. For instance, my one son will repeatedly tell me how I'm the best Dad he knows. Its sweet. And gosh, its hard to deny. But I'm also pretty much the only Dad he knows. I guess his other point of reference is the Dad from Peppa Pig. Have you seen that guy? He's a half shaven, rotound pig with the manners you might expect of such a guy. Its a bit surprising he isn't usually adorned with a can of beer in his hand and food stains on his clothing. This suddenly sounds li...

NIGHTMARE: Three Kids; One Invite

Its a triplet parents worst nightmare, really. I only have triplets, so most of what I;m about to say about singletons is conjecture and assumption, but here goes: I imagine that when you have three kids of different ages its easy when only one of them is invited to a birthday party. Any younger child is probably interested in where an older sibling is going, but is easily refocused. Older children probably just don't care what a younger child is doing, but to the extent they are invested, I'd think its easy to explain to them. After all, they are probably in different schools, or at least different grades. They have different teachers, different classmates, and while they may share some friends, those are largely different as well. Not so with triplets When you have three kids all the same age they attend the same  school; often in the same class (as ours do). So when only one of them receives an invite, as our daughter did, its hard not  to feel slighted. After all, ...

Yesterday Was A No Good, Very Bad, Day

Yesterday was a no good, very bad, day. Not just yesterday, the last two or three days, really. I'm not even sure why. I am sure I have not been a good Dad or person these last few days. Maybe I'm not sleeping well - though I think I am. Maybe I'm not happy - though I think I am. Maybe I'm stressed out - though I have no reason to be. Heck, January was the best month for this blog by nearly any measure. The Robes broke up shortly after this show. Our piano player was moody. I've been short with the kids. Little things that  really should  roll off my shoulders have dug claws in me, edging me toward irritation. I've snapped. I've raised my voice. I've been very, very short. To the point my daughter has had to remind me to "take a deep breath, Daddy." A short aside: I'm so, so very proud of her for that. Because it really does defuse the situation; it really takes me out of the moment and allows me to reset. But when your 4-year-old ...